Friday, August 29, 2008

To Dream....


the impossible dream! We all had dreams when we were young. When I was in first grade, I wanted to be a writer. Only I didn't call it that; I said I wanted to be an "author." I even wrote two little illustrated books that are in my mom's custody.

At some point in high school, I considered becoming a psychologist/psychiatrist until I found out medical school and clinical work was involved, so the heck with that. Then in the 70s I discovered the wonderful textile designs of Vera Neumann and Marimekko and Peter Max. I decided I wanted to be a textile designer when I "grew up."

Well, life happens, I dropped out of Fine Arts college and didn't become a textile designer. Buying other's fabric designs, cutting them up and piecing them back together has been my creative outlet. I know I can print small pieces of my own designs, but I've always found printing on 8 1/2 x 11 sheets of computer-printable fabric somewhat disappointing.

But now there's the possibility for me - or you or anyone - to create and print 100% cotton fabric yardage of my very own design. A small company called Spoonflower now does just that - in beautiful color on Kona cotton. If you check out their YouTube videos here, you can see all the different designs that they've printed for their customers. Yeah, some of them will have you thinking that the designers had a little too much time and money on their hands, but to each his own.

So, the question is, do I or don't I.

No comments: